Pages

Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Homemade Bread

I've tried several different "2-ingredient bread" recipes for homemade bread, but all of them failed.  I wondered if it was the problem with climate/humidity/longitude/latitude/magic.  I was unhappy that other people could do it, and I just somehow couldn't get it right.

The naan from the previous post was good, but it involved too many ingredients for me to start on a whim.

Then I saw this roti recipe; it required only whole wheat flour, water, and avocado oil.  I wouldn't call mine "roti", but it wasn't bad.

So today I decided to do it on my own, by guessing all the ingredients and their ratios.

Ingredients:

  • 1.5 cups all-purpose flour, plus more
  • 1.5 tspn baking powder
  • 3/4 tspn salt
  • 7 ~ 8 tbspn Greek yogurt (the yogurt and its water combined)
  • Butter, melted
  • Garlic powder
  • Italian seasoning
Steps:

  1. The first three ingredients make up the self-rising flour in the 2-ingredient bread.  Sift them together into a bowl.
  2. Then I started adding one tablespoon of Greek yogurt at a time to the flour.  Mix them well.  I didn't level off the tablespoon.  I just scooped up the yogurt and its water and dumped it into the flour.  By the time it got to 8 tablespoons, the dough finally took shape, but it was very wet.  So I should have stopped at 7 tablespoons 😛
  3. I added 1/4 tspn of flour to the dough; I didn't level it off either.  Then I added another 1/2 tspn flour.  Then I added another 1 tspn flour.  Finally the dough was not wet and sticky anymore.  It looked and felt like an actual bread dough.
  4. Knead the dough for three minutes and wrap it in wet kitchen paper towel while washing up.
  5. Mix melted butter and garlic powder together.
  6. Divide the dough into nine balls.  Somehow by magic my unmeasurable ratio of flour and yogurt turned into nine equal size balls 😆.  Roll six out and make them into doughnut shape.
  7. Bake them at 180℃ for 15 minutes.  This was pure guesstimate because of the Japanese convection oven in the rental property.  I have no idea how "convection" works.  I have no idea how to preheat the oven because I couldn't figure out the Japanese instruction.
  8. When the doughnuts were done, Math Teacher took one bite and said they were good!  I was happy! 😇
  9. Roll the remaining three balls into flat shape.  Brush with garlic butter, sprinkle with Italian seasoning and cook them on stovetop.  They actually bubbled up and looked so cute!
The breads were perfect when they were just out of the oven and off the stove.  After they cooled down, I didn't quite like the doughnut-shaped ones.  They felt too doughy.  Math Teacher, on the other hand, said the flat ones were difficult to bite.

Homemade Bread

This experiment worked!  I can make homemade bread anytime with just flour and yogurt.  Then I can add on any toppings.  Garlic butter makes anything better.  Next time, I will not roll out the flat ones too thin, and I'll try cheddar with jalapeño or pizza sauce with basil 😋

May the love be with you! FREE Historical Romance!

Check out these free historical novels! https://books.bookfunnel.com/eroyalmay2024/v1hjgerfc7 My short story, REDEMPTION, is also in the pro...