Pages

Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Basil Omelette

Easy Chinese cooking #1

Chinese cooking is not difficult at all.  What you see in the restaurant is not what we eat at home.  Basically Chinese people stir fry everything.

This is what I do when I have a small bunch of basil leftover and can't make it into a proper recipe.  This is also a stable dish at any traditional night market or street stand.

Ingredients:
  • Basil (any amount)
  • Eggs, scrambled (any amount)
  • Ginger, sliced thinly (any amount)
  • Sake (I don't know if alcohol is required in the traditional recipe, and I'm too lazy to look it up, and I have sake on hand.  So sake it is.)
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Sesame oil*
Steps:
  1. Tear basil into tiny pieces, or do the fancy chiffonade.
  2. Mix the basil with the scrambled eggs.  Just scramble enough eggs that you think it's a proper amount to cover over the basil.  It doesn't matter because this is home cooking.
  3. Sake, salt, and pepper into the egg/basil mixture, to taste.  How do I know if it's salty enough before the egg is cooked?  I don't know, because I usually throw in a 1/4 teaspoon and don't taste it.  This is home cooking; it doesn't matter.
  4. Thinly slice ginger.  Peel or not, you decide.  My family doesn't peel ginger because we're a lazy bunch.  Also today I didn't have fresh ginger on hand so I used ground ginger powder.  It doesn't matter, because ginger here is not for eating; it's for fragrance and to give the oil a kick.
  5. Pour sesame oil into a pan and put the ginger slices in.  Wait until the ginger is sizzling*.  You will smell the amazing ginger cooked in sesame oil.  It is one of the most delicious smells in the world.
  6. Pour the egg/basil mixture into the pan.  Cook to the desired doneness and the desired omelette style and shape.
  7. Serve.
*Disclaimer:  Chinese cooking actually requires a specific kind of sesame oil.  It is specially made for high-heat cooking.  Most of the sesame oil sold in the supermarkets are not the high-heat type.  So watch out for the pan and don't overheat the sesame oil.

Home cooking, so the picture is ugly.

Basil Omelette


May the love be with you! FREE Historical Romance!

Check out these free historical novels! https://books.bookfunnel.com/eroyalmay2024/v1hjgerfc7 My short story, REDEMPTION, is also in the pro...