Pages

Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Roasted Broccoli with Gnocchi

Pasta is Math Teacher's comfort food.

Gnocchi (應該有點像麵疙瘩) is one of my two favorite pasta; the other one is pappardelle.

We didn't have much time today so I roasted broccoli, thinking it could be added to something else.

Math Teacher was craving gnocchi.  So here it is.

Ingredients:

  • 1.5 head broccoli
  • 1 pack gnocchi
  • 1 lemon, zest and juice
  • Garlic
  • Oil (whatever type)
  • Mixed dried herbs*
  • Italian seasonings
  • Jalapeno powder
  • salt
  • pepper
Pre Steps:

It is better to have the roasted broccoli ready before everything else.

  1. Cut the broccoli into florets.  Don't forget to trim the stalk and include the inside tender part.  I used 1.5 heads today because we had 1/2 head leftover from last week, and it was looking sad.  I thought roasting it would cover its sadness.
  2. Sprinkle oil, salt, pepper over the broccoli.  Roast at 200℃ for about 15 minutes, or until you can smell it.  We'll be sautéing it later with the gnocchi; so don't over-roast the broccoli.

Actual Steps:

  1. Add oil, Italian seasoning, and jalapeño powder to a pan; wait until it sizzles.  I used Italian seasoning because I'm too lazy to buy all kinds of herb bottles.  Also, I know jalapeño powder is not a traditional pasta ingredient, but I cherish spiciness above everything else.
  2. Add the gnocchi.  Pan fry the gnocchi until they're a bit charred on both sides.
  3. While the gnocchi was in the pan frying, peel and chop the garlic.  I used one clove today, because reasons.
  4. Add the garlic to the pan.  Stir a few with the gnocchi.
  5. Add the roasted broccoli to the pan.  Stir a few.
  6. Add the lemon juice, salt, pepper; adjust to personal preference.  I used one whole lemon because Math Teacher likes acidity more than saltiness.
  7. Add the lemon zest.  Stir a few.  Turn off the heat.
  8. Add the mixed dried herbs* for color.  Fresh herbs are highly recommended, but they wilt faster than me using them.
  9. Serve.

*I'd buy a lot of organic fresh herbs and dry them  myself.  100℃ for about 10 minutes increment, until I feel it's dry enough.  Then I blitz them up.  They last for a long time.  Amazingly, homemade dried herbs retain its fresh vibrant green color, unlike the supermarket bottled ones.  That's why I use the Italian seasoning in a bottle to cook, and homemade dried herb for color.

The current homemade dried herbs I have is a mixture of rosemary and basil.  I DO NOT recommend it.  Rosemary and basil separately have beautiful, distinct fragrances.  Mix them together, and they smell of nothing.  That was a failed experiment.

Math Teacher ate 95% of it before I remembered to take a photo.

Roasted Broccoli with Gnocchi


May the love be with you! FREE Historical Romance!

Check out these free historical novels! https://books.bookfunnel.com/eroyalmay2024/v1hjgerfc7 My short story, REDEMPTION, is also in the pro...