Pages

Thursday, December 28, 2023

The Equalizer (2014)

Another Hollywood trope. A man in a quiet life that nobody knew he was a bad-ass. Then the man was forced to re-join the violence to help someone helpless.

I don't mind. Shoot them up and beat them up! Denzel Washington was so cool.

When Math Teacher was reading John Milton's Paradise Lost, he had to stop at this section to read it to me: 

"Whence and what art thou, execrable shape,
That darest, though grim and terrible, advance
Thy mistreated front athwart my way
To yonder gates?  through them I mean to pass,
That be assured, without leave asked of thee:
Retire, or taste thy folly, and learn by proof,
Hell-born, not to contend with spirits of heaven."

Roughly translated as:

Where and what are you, shit face,
You think you're big and scary, you dare to block my way to the gate.
Rest assured I'm going to pass, without asking for your permission.
Get out of here, or taste your own medicine, and learn,
you trash, Not to fuck with the heaven born.

This scene was when Satan leading a group of fallen angels to try to get into Eden; a fugly shape blocked his way.  I immediately said Denzel Washington was the only one that could pull these lines off as Satan.  So dominating, so confident.  Anyone in his way will be pummeled to death.  Hollywood, call me!

May the love be with you! FREE Historical Romance!

Check out these free historical novels! https://books.bookfunnel.com/eroyalmay2024/v1hjgerfc7 My short story, REDEMPTION, is also in the pro...